Constipation is a digestive problem in which a person faces difficulty passing stool. It occurs when the movement of waste material in the colon is sluggish, thus making it hard and dry. Diet plays a major role in our digestive system and regulates how food is digested in our body. Anchorage constipation specialists can provide personalized diet advice to help you keep your gut healthy.
Let’s look at how diet plays a major role in causing constipation and what foods to eat to prevent it.
- Lack of fiber- Insoluble fiber increases the bulk of stool, which stimulates intestinal muscles and aids in the passage of stool. Moreover, soluble fibers absorb water, thus making a gel-like substance and making the passage of stool smooth.
- Lack of Hydration- Water makes stool soft, but in case of inadequate hydration, your body extracts water from stool in the colon to keep the body hydrated. As a result, the stool becomes dry and hard.
- High-fat diet- Food rich in fat takes longer to digest, and therefore its movement in the digestive tract is sluggish. Moreover, it decreases the absorption of water in the colon, thus resulting in constipation indirectly.
- Overconsumption of Caffeine or Alcohol- Caffeine and alcohol are diuretics, which means they increase urine output. As a result, it dehydrates the body and causes constipation.
- Sedentary Lifestyle- Physical activity helps in bowel movement, thus helping in defecation.
- Medication Interactions- Painkillers, iron supplements, and certain antidepressants can cause constipation as a side effect.
- Irregular Eating Habit- Irregular eating schedule can disrupt bowel movement, thus resulting in constipation. Ensure to eat at a specific time every day to allow healthy bowel movements.
Foods to eat to prevent or relieve constipation
Following food items that you should include to prevent or relieve constipation.
- Fiber-rich foods – Brown rice, quinoa, oats, whole wheat, apple, pear, carrots, spinach, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Fruits with natural sorbitol- Prunes, apricots, and plums
- Vegetables with High Water Content- Lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, etc.
- Nuts and seeds- Flax Seeds, chia seeds, almonds, walnuts, etc.
- Water and other hydrating drinks, such as natural juices and herbal tea
The digestive system plays a major role in the functioning of our body parts. Constipation can cause uneasiness and discomfort. Lifestyle modifications, laxatives, and diet modification help to prevent it.